Auto Dent Removal
You may have heard many urban legends about repairing hail damage to your car yourself. You can find countless videos on YouTube, for example, touting the benefits of everything from dry ice to hair dryers when it comes to repairing the small but significant dents that pieces of hail can cause to your car. And since enough hail slamming into your new car can really destroy its value, it’s no wonder that there are so many DIY methods for home repair. Unfortunately, the fact is that they just don’t work to repair auto dents.The Dent Shop (469) 233-5880
How to repair auto dents
The two most common methods to repair auto dents, are paintless dent repair and using body filler.
Paintless dent repair
Paintless dent repair (PDR) is a technique to repair auto dents that have grown in popularity throughout the years. This method entails using special dent removal tools to effectively push out the dent from underneath the body panel to make it look like new on the outside. An alternative technique is to use a dent puller tool to pull the dent outward to achieve a smooth appearance. In this process, the technician goes behind the dent with tools to massage out the dent out leaving the paint surface intact. This technique demands a lot of practice and specific tools, so it is not recommended for the do-it-yourselfer. It is especially effective for parts not easily replaced, like roofs and quarter panels. Of all the professional methods, it is the most cost-effective. In fact, in locales where damaging hail is a regular occurrence, it is the repair method most preferred by insurance companies.The Dent Shop (469) 233-5880
How to use PDR to repair auto dent:
- Gain access to the underside of the dent by removing the necessary trims.
- Use a dent removal tool to gently push the dent outward. We offer hail damage removal tools in an assortment of sizes to safely repair auto dents small and large.
- PDR can be used on aluminum and steel vehicles if the paint surface is in good condition, meaning it’s not cracked or scratched. In addition, the surface cannot have any torn metal or sharp edges — otherwise, alternative dent repair methods will need to be used.The Dent Shop(469) 233-5880
- Body filleris a substance used to fill in dents or dings. A tried and true solution to repair auto dents, body filler has been perfected throughout the years thanks to evolving technologies and innovations in the refinish industry. Today’s market offers many types of formulas designed to repair varying degrees of damage, from lightweight body filler for minor dents to heavy-duty filler for extensive damage.
- To repair auto dents with body filler, a shop will apply the filler over the dented surface and then sand it to achieve a smooth look. If the damage is particularly severe, a shop may apply a putty over the filler for additional smoothness. The surface is then painted over so that it matches the rest of the vehicle.The Dent Shop(469) 233-5880